Sunday, November 15, 2009

Peaceacre Meets the Arts Council

When I moved Peaceacre, the business, into the Arts Council building on the Square, I moved my personal art studio as well. Can you believe this all used to all be crammed into my tiny little dining room at home! Art is important, You have to find space for it, in a room somewhere, and in your life, in your day. Your art can be painting, photography, dance, poetry - anything. Just never let it go. Pursue it. Make it happen. Art is not a country club activity - it's the grass roots, real life work of people like you and me, laboring in the trenches of the imagination to create something from the heart and mind and muse. No art school required, at least in my book.
.
That little tirade out of the way... Let me tell you about our involvement in the Arts Council of Barton County. I'm an artist, my husband is a poet and a writer, my kids are artists, my friends are mostly artists, too. You are, too, if you're looking at this website, I'll wager. Art matters. So we joined the Arts Council to see if we could make a difference and bring art to life in Barton County. We've got some exciting ideas for classes, events and groups this winter, so watch this space for "coming soon" announcements.
.
A few things we have planned include:
.
  • I'll be teaching a kid's class on making Christmas ornaments from natural materials. The class should roll out in early December.
.
  • In January, Gayla Miller will be teaching a photography class for the 12 to 17 year old crowd.
.
  • In February, watch for "How to Tell a Story," presented by my husband the poet, a class aimed at the teen/young adult crowd.
.
Plus lots more, to be developed. If you have any ideas, or if you would be interested in teaching a FREE arts class, email me at Peaceacre@Ymail.com. This is a volunteer organization and effort, and nobody is getting paid... We just want to bring the arts to everyone... period! Come on everybody, it winter - there's no excuse! Let's get together, have some fun, and inspire each other a little!